Comprehensive Elder Law Services Addressing a Full Range of Legal Issues

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Practice Area Overview
  4.  » Guardianships

Guardianships To Protect The Vulnerable In Pittsburgh

Is there an elderly person in your life who is no longer able to take care of himself or herself? Do you have a special needs child about to turn 18, and are you concerned about his or her welfare? If you are in either one or both of these situations, consider speaking with a lawyer about guardianship options. A guardianship is an effective way to care for an elderly person, a person with special needs or an otherwise incapacitated person. At Sikov and Love, P.A., we have the resources available to address your concerns effectively.

Would you like to learn more about establishing a guardianship for a loved one? Please contact Sikov and Love, P.A., to arrange for a consultation. Since our founding in 1952, we have set a standard for quality legal services.

Guardianships can be established for special needs individuals and elderly individuals who are incapacitated due to a condition such as dementia or Alzheimer’s.

What Qualifications Should You Look For In A Guardian?

The person you choose as a guardian for yourself or your children is one of the most important decisions you’ll make in life. To be a good guardian, they should be:

  • Financially stable
  • Healthy
  • Have strong parenting skills
  • Sound moral judgment
  • Able to make sound decisions surrounding medical and financial matters
  • Mentally stable
  • Kind and empathetic
  • Trustworthy

You may know someone who meets all these qualifications and more. Once you find the person you’d like to select as your guardian, we can help put your request in writing. Additionally, you can change who you would like as your guardian if your circumstances change.

When Is The Right Time To Select A Guardian?

The earlier you do so, the better. Having the right person in place early on can give you peace of mind if the unexpected happens.

How Many Guardians Can You Select?

You can have multiple guardians if you choose. For example, you may choose to have a different guardian for each of your kids depending on how compatible they are with each individual.

You may have several reasons for selecting multiple guardians. We can help you figure out what the best decision for you is. Call us today at 412-567-1236 to learn more about your options and how we can help you.

Guardianships For The Elderly

Realizing that your mother or father is no longer able to make financial, legal or other important decisions is a devastating revelation. If your parent has not planned ahead and prepared powers of attorney, you may be unaware of the options available to you. We can help you ensure that your loved one’s needs are met, they receive good care and their finances are managed appropriately. If your loved one is suffering from dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, a stroke or some other deteriorating condition, our firm can help.

Guardianships For Individuals With Special Needs

When children with special needs turn 18, they are legally adults. Guardianships for a special needs child can ensure your child’s health and finances are properly managed and will allow the child to continue receiving appropriate government benefits.

Representation In Orphans’ Court

Establishing a guardianship requires filing a petition in the Orphans’ Court to have a person found to be incapacitated and to have a guardian appointed. Our firm represents concerned family members as well as those who may desire to oppose a proposed guardianship.

Please contact Sikov and Love, P.A., to learn if guardianship is advisable for your situation. You may also call us at 412-567-1236.